Parklands Campus Library
The mark of a premier law school is its library. Kenyatta University School of Law (KUSOL) has taken rapid measures to ensure that its library is of the highest standard possible. It serves both students and staff of parklands campus. The library is a well equipped facility with a seating capacity of over 200 students that serves both students and staff of the campus. It is designed to provide a high level of support to both the teaching and learning programs at KUSOL.
LOCATION: The library is on the first floor of the campus building, on the left side as you enter the gate.
DAY OPENING TIME CLOSING TIME
Monday – Friday 08.00 am 12.00 am (midnight)
Saturday 08.00 am 10.00 pm
Sunday 09.00 am 05.00 pm
This ensures continuous accessibility by students and staff.
A. STAFFING: The library has Seven members of staff, headed by the campus librarian in-charge.
B. CLIENTELE: KUSOL Library has a total of 1000 undergraduate students taking Law. However, the Library is open for all KU students including staff both teaching and non-teaching.
C. LIBRARY SERVICES: Services offered in our library include: lending services, current awareness services, online and offline database searches, reference services, inducting new students as well as training of both new and old students at a personal level on the use of Library resources.
D. OPAC: The Library has three computers that are designated for students to access the online Catalogue. This section is adjacent circulation desk hence users can be guided on how to use and access our catalogue as well as E-Resources by our friendly staff at the circulation desk.
E. INFORMATION RESOURSES
The ever growing KUSOL Library collection totals to over 5500 Law books, 4000 other subject areas as well as wide range of journals.
To support the teaching, learning and research programmes of the Campus, the library boasts of a collection of key legal texts, law reports series, printed books, journals, E-journals, magazines, daily newspapers, indexed articles as well as past exam papers among others. NB. The library also subscribes to the Kenya Gazette and Nairobi Law monthly. In addition, KUSOL has subscribed to several online resources such as LexisNexis, the Law Africa Reports Online Service, JSTOR and EBSCO.
To enable the users to access our collection with reasonable ease, the collection has been divided as follows:
1. SHORT LOAN SECTION: Books on high demand are placed on the shelf behind the circulation counter; can be borrowed and read within the library for a short period. However they can be borrowed overnight from 5.00 pm and returned next day at 8.00 a.m. Overdue fines are charged for books not returned on time. The charges are indicated in the library regulations.
2. REFERENCE SECTION: KUSOL Library has a reference section where dictionaries, almanacs, encyclopedia. These reference materials have limited access as one can only use them in the Library. They are not to be taken out
3. THESIS AND PROJECTS: For the very first time, the Library is now well stocked with the LLB Dissertations by our very own KUSOL alumni 2012.
4. GENERAL COLLECTION: This section holds the bulk of our information materials. In this section, students are allowed to borrow books for a maximum period of two weeks.
5. INFORMATION AND REFERENCE DESK: Our staff are ready to assist you in all aspect of legal research. they are committed to providing the students with efficient legal materials. Reference assistance is available in person, through email as well as through our Facebook page.
6. INFORMATION LITERACY Kenyatta University library system conducts information literacy training to all users as indicated in the Information literacy link
NO POSSESSION CAN SURPASS, OR EVEN EQUAL A GOOD LIBRARY, TO THE LOVER OF BOOKS.
~ John Alfred Langford