Nyeri Campus Library
KENYATTA UNIVERSITY NYERI CAMPUS LIBRARY
Kenyatta University Nyeri campus library is housed in KU Plaza next to National Bank and has a sitting capacity of 100 people.
DAY OPENING TIME CLOSING TIME
Monday – Friday 08.00 am 09.00 pm
Saturday 08.30 am 05.30 pm
Sunday 10.00 am 06.00 pm
NB: The Library is closed during public holidays
STAFFING: The library has five members of staff; their duties have been categorized as follows:
- Campus librarian
- Head ICT section
- Head circulation
- Reference and information desk staff
- Cataloguing and classification &filing staff
Nyeri campus has a total of five hundred and thirty four (600) students in all modes of learning that is full time, evening, weekend, open, dsvol students. Out of the six hundred students (600), two hundred and twenty-one (221) are open, distance and e-learning students two hundred and fifty (250) are post graduates and one hundred and fifty (150) are undergraduate students . There are also a good number of the institutional based students hailing from Nyeri and its environs who frequently visit our library.
LIBRARY SERVICES: Some of the services offered in our library include: lending services, current awareness services, online and offline database searches, and reference services.
OPAC: The library has four computers that are designated for students to access the online public access catalogue. As this section is just adjacent to the circulation desk and patrons can be guided on how to access our catalogue by the librarian in charge of the circulation desk. Students can also be assisted in accessing online resources: journals, thesis, books and past exam papers that are available online.
COMPUTER LAB: This section is reserves for users to access e-resources subscribed by the University library. Configuration of laptops for registered library patrons to access wireless network and training on how to access e-resources is also done there.
READING CARRELS: There are seven reading carrels reserved for private study. Each carrel has a reading table, chairs and a computer with a sitting capacity of two people.
INFORMATION RESOURCES: The library collection has grown tremendously with a collection of approximately four thousand books, around four hundred journals and magazines, Notes bound together for reference, Thesis, past examination papers, newspapers, and compact disks. In addition there are a number of online databases including journals, articles and e-books that the University subscribes to that are accessible to our students in the library.
To enable the users to access our collection with reasonable ease, the collection has been divided as follows:
1. SHORT LOAN SECTION: This is housed in the circulation desk and has materials covering books that are in high demand to make them available for use when they are required. Most of the books in this section are borrowed for three hours but after 8.00pm patrons are allowed to borrow overnight and return by 9.00am in the morning.
2. REFERENCE SECTION: There is a reference section for dictionaries, books almanacs, encyclopedias and other materials that are to be referred from in the library. These materials can not be borrowed outside the library.
3. THESIS AND PROJECTS: There is a section specifically for this kind of materials.
4. GENERAL COLLECTION: This is the section that holds the bulk of our materials.
5. INFORMATION AND REFERENCE DESK: The library has a section that deals specifically with handling reference queries from patrons and helping them access resources from the library.
INFORMATION LITERACY Kenyatta University library system conducts information literacy training to all users as indicated in the Information literacy link
Contact the Nyeri campus library :
“The things I want to know are in books. My best friend is the man who will get me a book I have not read.”
~ Abraham Lincoln